Leaf, Limb and Non-Household Waste Collection
The Department of Road Management provides a pick-up service for disposal of leaves, limbs, and other non-household waste items. (Please review acceptable and non-acceptable items listed below.) This service covers 16,000 residential addresses in the unincorporated area of DeSoto County.
- Leaves must be bagged and limbs must be lengths no longer than 10 feet.
- Non-household waste must be bagged.
- Please place items at the roadside for pick up.
- The Road Department has 7 trucks in service daily.
- Each truck runs its specified route allowing every resident to have pick-up service every 7 to 10 business days.
- Pick-up days vary depending on the demand.
- Spring brings larger amounts of rubbish causing extended pick-up times.
- DeSoto County does not pick up for commercial tree services. They are responsible for hauling away trees they cut down.
Pick-up Limits: DeSoto county Road Management will collect up to one (1) truckload for free. Each additional truckload will cost the resident $100 per load.
Truckload Size: 7.3' wide x 5' tall x 18' long (30 yards)
Each resident has the option to haul their rubbish to a Rubbish Pit for free. DeSoto County residents are allowed 4 free rubbish pit visits per month.
Rubbish Pit Locations
- DeSoto County Rubbish Pit: 5255 West Sandidge Road, Olive Branch, MS 38654
- Starlanding Rubbish Pit (Privately Operated): 9353 Starlanding Road West, Lake Cormorant, MS 38671 (Closed on Saturdays)
- Railroad Ave. Rubbish Pit (Privately Operated): 11250 Old Hwy 178, Olive Branch, MS 38654 (Closed on Saturdays)
You can find more information about Rubbish Pits by going to Environmental Services.
DeSoto County does not pick up for commercial tree services. They are responsible for hauling away trees they cut down.
The following is the list of acceptable and non-acceptable items for curbside pickup in the unincorporated county:
Demolition or Construction
- Metal 55-gal drums
- Computer Monitors
- Grass Clippings (must be bagged)
- Leaves (must be bagged)
- Limbs (Not over 4 feet Long)
- Pine Needles (must be bagged)
- Sawdust (must be bagged)
- Trees (Not over 4 feet Long)
- Hot Water Heaters
- Refrigerators/Freezers (only if Freon has been removed)
- 5-gallon buckets
- Baby Diapers
- Caulk Tubes
- Drink Cans
- Feed Sacks: dog, cat, horse, etc.
- Freon Tanks
- Horse or Stall Pickings
- Kitchen Pots or Pans
- Milk Cartons
- Oil Cans
- Paint Cans
- Plastic Jugs
- Propane Tanks
- Spray Cans
- Copy Machines
Electronic Waste can be disposed of at the following three locations:
- DeSoto County Rubbish Facility - 5255 West Sandidge Road, Olive Branch (Monday - Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm and Saturday 8 am to noon)
- Juvenile Justice Center - 311 West South Street, Hernando (24 Hours)
- Olive Branch Maintenance Shop - 10414 Hwy 178, Olive Branch (Monday - Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm)
For information regarding recycling, rubbish pits, and/or hazardous waste disposal, contact the DeSoto County Environmental Services Office at 662-469-8152.