Household Hazardous Waste
DeSoto County's Household Hazardous Waste Day will be Saturday, May 14, 2022 at the Landers Center. Hours will be 8am-1pm.
The DeSoto County Board of Supervisors and Environmental Services are offering a safe way for residents to dispose items classified as hazardous household waste. The collection event is a community service funded by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality in cooperation with the DeSoto County Board of Supervisors.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
- Hazardous Household Waste is any unused or left-over portions of products containing toxic chemicals. Any product which is labeled CAUTION, POISONOUS, TOXIC, FLAMMABLE, or CORROSIVE should not be disposed of with regular household waste.
DATE: Saturday, May 14, 2022
TIME: 8:00am until 1:00pm
LOCATION: The Landers Center in Southaven in the southwest corner parking lot at Venture Drive and Turman Drive.
QUESTIONS: For additional questions please call 662-469-8152.
Additional Recycling Services Available Throughout the Year
Tire Disposal Locations
Limit of 25 tires per month - No Commercial Vendors
- DeSoto County Environmental Services Shop - 2339 Gwynn Road, Nesbit (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm)
- DeSoto County Rubbish Facility - 5255 West Sandidge Road, Olive Branch (Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm and Saturday 8 am to 2 pm)
E-Waste Drop-off Locations
- Juvenile Justice Center - 311 West South Street, Hernando (24 Hours)
- DeSoto County Rubbish Facility - 5255 West Sandidge Road Olive Branch (Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm and Saturday 8 am to 2 pm)
- Olive Branch Maintenance Shop - 10414 Hwy 78, Olive Branch (Monday-Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm)
Oil Disposal Locations
- DeSoto County DeSoto County Environmental Services Shop - 2339 Gwynn Road, Nesbit (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm)
- Eastern Maintenance Shop - 10947 Highway 178, Olive Branch (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm)
- Northern Maintenance Shop - 5700 Delta View Road, Walls (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm)
- Southern Maintenance Shop - 8155 Boggan Lane, Hernando (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm)
- DeSoto County Rubbish Pit: 5255 West Sandidge Road, Olive Branch, MS 38654
- Starlanding Rubbish Pit (Privately Operated): 9353 Starlanding Road West, Lake Cormorant, MS 38671
- Railroad Ave. Rubbish Pit (Privately Operated): 11250 Old Hwy 178, Olive Branch, MS 38654 (Closed on Saturdays)
Rubbish Pits Winter Hours
The Rubbish Pit is for disposal of non-household trash and non-hazardous items. Examples of acceptable rubbish:
- Renovation debris
- Non-household garbage
Additional Services at DeSoto County Rubbish Pit on Sandidge:
- Tires (Limit of 25 tires per month - No Commercial Vendors )
- E-waste & TV Recycling
NOTE: The Rubbish Pit cannot accept household garbage, food containers, or batteries.
Each citizen can make four free visits to the Rubbish Pit per month.
NOTE: Paint Cans
Paint cans are considered hazardous waste when they contain paint. If the cans are empty or completely dry they can be placed in the trash.
How to dry latex paint:
- Mix in some kitty litter, sawdust, or sand and allowing it to dry out thoroughly in the sun.
- Stir the mixture to ensure that it is completely dried out.
- The paint and can may be thrown out with your trash as long as the lid is removed.