Household Hazardous Waste
The DeSoto County Board of Supervisors and Environmental Services are offering a safe way for residents to dispose items classified as hazardous household waste. The collection event is a community service funded by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality in cooperation with the DeSoto County Board of Supervisors.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
- Hazardous Household Waste is any unused or left-over portions of products containing toxic chemicals. Any product which is labeled CAUTION, POISONOUS, TOXIC, FLAMMABLE, or CORROSIVE should not be disposed of with regular household waste.
- LED Bulbs
- Aerosol Cans
- Chlorine Bleach
- Flammable Liquids
- Motor Oil
- Car Batteries
- Lighter Fluid
- All Paints
- Pool Chemicals
- Tire Recycling: Limit of 5 tires per citizen.
DO NOT BRING
- Compressed Cylinders
- Explosive Materials
- Radioactive Materials
- Medical Waste
- Waste from Business
- Commercial Waste
- DATE: Saturday, May 14, 2022
- TIME: 8:00am until Noon
- LOCATION: The Landers Center in Southaven in the southwest corner parking lot at Venture Drive and Turman Drive.
- QUESTIONS: For additional questions please call 662-469-8152.
The Recycling Services Listed Below are Available Throughout the Year
Tire Disposal Locations
Limit of 25 tires per month - No Commercial Vendors
- DeSoto County Environmental Services Shop - 2339 Gwynn Road, Nesbit (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3 pm)
- DeSoto County Rubbish Facility - 5255 West Sandidge Road, Olive Branch (Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm and Saturday 8 am to 2 pm)
E-Waste Drop-off Locations
- Juvenile Justice Center - 311 West South Street, Hernando (24 Hours)
- DeSoto County Environmental Services - 2339 Gwynn Road, Nesbit (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3 pm)
- DeSoto County Rubbish Facility - 5255 West Sandidge Road Olive Branch (Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm and Saturday 8 am to 2 pm)
- Olive Branch Maintenance Shop - 10414 Hwy 78, Olive Branch (Monday-Friday 7:00 am to 3 pm)
Oil Disposal Locations
- DeSoto County Environmental Services - 2339 Gwynn Rd, Nesbit (Monday through Friday 7am to 3 pm)
- Eastern Maintenance Shop - 10947 Highway 178, Olive Branch (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3 pm)
- Southern Maintenance Shop - 8155 Boggan Lane, Hernando (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3 pm)
- DeSoto County Rubbish Pit: 5255 West Sandidge Road, Olive Branch, MS 38654
- Starlanding Rubbish Pit (Privately Operated): 9353 Starlanding Road West, Lake Cormorant, MS 38671
- Railroad Ave. Rubbish Pit (Privately Operated): 11250 Old Hwy 178, Olive Branch, MS 38654 (Closed on Saturdays)
Rubbish Pits Winter Hours
The Rubbish Pit is for disposal of non-household trash and non-hazardous items. Examples of acceptable rubbish:
- Renovation debris
- Non-household garbage
Additional Services at DeSoto County Rubbish Pit on Sandidge:
- Tires (Limit of 25 tires per month - No Commercial Vendors )
- E-waste & TV Recycling
NOTE: The Rubbish Pit cannot accept household garbage, food containers, or batteries.
Each citizen can make four free visits to the Rubbish Pit per month.
Leftover Latex Paint
Paint cans are considered hazardous waste when they contain paint. Below are some suggestions on what to do with extra paint.
- Dry it up - Simply remove the lid and place in a safe, well-ventilated area. Cans one-fourth full or less will dry in a few days. For cans with greater volume, add mulch or cat litter to dry up the paint. Once it is dry, it is okay to place in a separate bag inside your garbage. Place your empty or dried paint cans in your trash for regular collection.
- Pass it on - Donate unopened cans of paint. Many schools and community, religious, and theater groups will accept unopened cans, especially of white paint. Even a neighbor may need some extra paint. Also, check your paint store's policy on returning unopened cans of paint.
- Use it up - Small amounts of paint can be mixed with other colors or bulked together to be used as a primer coat or on jobs where the final finish is not critical. Avoid waste; buy only what you need.