- Chancery Clerk
- Chancery Court & Filing Fees
- Passport Services
Current Passport Processing Times:
Currently, routine service can take 10-13 weeks from the time an application is received at the processing center to the date the passport is received by the applicant. Expedite service (for an additional $60) can take 7-9 weeks from the time an application is received at the processing center to the date the passport is received by the applicant. Processing times do not include mailing times.
Presione aqui para Espanol.
The DeSoto County Chancery Clerk's office is a full service Passport application office. Applications are accepted in the Chancery Court Offices on the 1st floor of the DeSoto County Courthouse, located at 2535 Highway 51 South in Hernando, Mississippi. Room 100 and Room 104 both have agents available to assist you. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 3:30 p.m. The Clerk's office accepts walk-ins, no appointment necessary.
Print a Passport Application
Visit the U.S. Department of State Travel website to print a passport application or answer any questions you may have about applying for or renewing a passport. CAUTION: Please only get your forms from travel.state.gov or from a passport acceptance facility. Read this information from the Department of State before using a third party company to expedite your application.
Applying for the First Time
Please note: The U.S. Department of State only accepts checks or money orders. Visit the travel.state.gov website for more information.
You must submit your application in person. If you complete your passport application in advance, use black ink only and do not sign it. You will be required to sign it in person when you bring it to the Chancery Clerk's office.
Forms are available from the U.S. Department of State website. We also have forms available in our office. It is recommended that you take the application and bring it back completed.
What to Bring With You to the Clerk's Office
- A check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State (use the Fee Calculator). Please check the travel.state.gov website for the latest informatin.
- $35 execution fee paid by cash/check/debit/credit for each applicant. If you use our photo services, an additional $15 will be added to the execution fee (per applicant). This fee is payable to the Chancery Clerk of DeSoto County. Do not combine this fee with the fee to the U.S. Department of State.
- An unsigned completed application form
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or nationality - Bring one of these documents:
- An original or a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate (must have parent's names)
- Previously issued U. S. Passport (valid or expired)
- Certificate of Naturalization (more information about the Certification of Naturalization (PDF))
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Proof of identity - bring one of the following:
- Valid driver's license
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
- Temporary driver's license with photo
- Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
- U.S. military or military dependent ID
- Valid foreign passport
- U.S. permanent resident card (green card)
- 1 passport photo (see photo requirements); Note: We do have photo services in our office. We charge $15.00 for our passport photos.
Requirements for Minors (under 16 years of age)
- Both parents need to be present at the appointment. The child should also be present.
- If both parents cannot come, then the missing parent can send the DS-3053 form (PDF). This form should be filled out, signed and notarized. The missing parent should also send in a copy of the front & back of their license. You will need separate copies for each child.
- If only one parent has full custody, then they must provide proof (such as a court order) and the other parent does not have to be involved. You will need a separate copy of the order for each child.
- If one of the parents is deceased, then you can submit a death certificate. You will need a separate copy for each child.
- View more information from the Department of State about applying for minors.
Already Have a Passport?
You can renew if you can agree to all six of the following questions. If you answer no to any of the following, then you cannot use the renewal form. You will need to complete an application for a new passport.
- I can submit my most recent US passport book and/or U.S. passport card with this application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued.
- My most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card has not been lost, stolen, mutilated, or damaged.
- My U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten-year validity.
- I use the same name as on my recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card or I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documents to reflect the change.
If you were able to agree to all the above, go to the Department of State's website to fill out a Form DS-82 and renew your passport by mail.
Associated Passport Fees
Please visit the U.S. Department of State website to view the latest fee information. You may also use the Fee Calculator to total all fees for each Passport you need processed.
The fees to the Clerk's Office and the fees to the Department of State must be paid separately.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
All passport fees paid to the "U.S. Department of State" must be in one of the following forms (cash is not accepted for the U.S. Department of State):
- Checks (personal, certified, cashier's or traveler's)
- Money Orders (U.S. postal, international, currency exchange)
The Passport Fees payable to the Chancery Clerk (the $35 processing fee and the $15 photo fee) can be in cash, check, money order or credit card. The Application Fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.
Credit Card Users
Please note there is a 2.5% processing fee to use a credit or debit card for the Application Fee and/or Photo Fee. This fee is collected by the credit processing center and is not paid to the Chancery Clerk's office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Submitting Copies of Citizenship Evidence (PDF)
- Using a third party company to exedite or courier your application
Chancery Clerk Passport Services